Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Climbing Trees and doing all sorts of things with fruit!

So, the people who lived in this house before Mom and Dad planted an apricot tree, 2 apple trees and 2 grape vines. They have never really produced that much fruit, but this year, there was fruit EVERYWHERE! Mom's friend Pat came over and took apples and grapes and made apple butter and jelly from them. Mom and I were inspired to do the same!


We spent a few hours one day, during Cole's nap, gathering TONS of grapes and apples (we had previously gathered about 2 boxes of apples). I climbed up in the apple tree to get the big, perfect apples near the top (I haven't climbed a tree in who knows how long!), but it was REALLY windy. I had to hold on so tight and at times I was swaying all over the place! My muscles were super sore the next day!


So, we became all homemakey and canned apple butter, apple pie filling, grape jelly and grape juice! It was awesome! Tons of work and on those days Cole watched a bunch of movies, but it was great.

I even bid on a juicer/steamer and ebay and won! So, now we are set for next year! Mom had previously canned the apricots...but we have big plans for them next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment